Wave Particle Duality

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Raymond_Guan_1H

Wave Particle Duality

Postby Raymond_Guan_1H » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:26 pm

I understand that light is considered both a wave as well as a particle but when it comes to solving equations, when would you use the wave equation versus the equation for particles? Are they able to be used interchangeably or does it depend on what form of light they are asking you to evaluate for?

David Sung 2H

Re: Wave Particle Duality

Postby David Sung 2H » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:42 pm

I remember that Professor Lavelle mentioned that when dealing with optics, use light as a wave, and use light as a particle when dealing with atoms and electrons.

Aashi_Patel_3B

Postby Aashi_Patel_3B » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:10 pm

The idea that light is dual in nature can actually work to our advantage at times: if one equation does not work, then we can try the other. That also will shed new perspective on the homework problem (at least from my experience). After attending lecture, understanding that light is dual in nature helped me solve some homework problems. It seems to be more of a conceptual thing that can help with the math, equation wise.

Sahand Fardi 1

Postby Sahand Fardi 1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:17 pm

A lot of times it depends on what values you are given in the problem, and then you go from there. Both of the equations are used usually in each problem in order to find things like wavelength and frequency so that other equations can be used to solve for E.

Return to “Properties of Light”