Wavelengths and Frequency of Electromagnetic Radiation  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shannon Wasley 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Wavelengths and Frequency of Electromagnetic Radiation

Postby Shannon Wasley 2J » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:13 pm

For future tests about the Quantum World and the Properties of Light, will we need to know the range of wavelengths of visible light (400 - 700nm). Also, will we need to know what color is seen at which wavelength. For example, will a test problem have us solve for the wavelength and then have us determine what color it is in the visible light spectrum. Also, possibly what range of wavelengths other radiations fall into (for example, ultraviolet radiation)

Aliza Ajmal 1D

Re: Wavelengths and Frequency of Electromagnetic Radiation

Postby Aliza Ajmal 1D » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi Shannon,

I remember Dr. Lavelle stating in lecture that we should remember that visible light is about 500 nm. However, I certainly think it would be helpful to know the wavelength spectrum of visible light (400nm-700nm) for your own understanding and knowing what answer to anticipate on a test or a homework problem.

Kimberly Santander3L

Postby Kimberly Santander3L » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:38 pm

I don't believe he would ask about what color our answer falls in the spectrum because I think he just cares about our calculations and the answer. You can also try asking Lavelle personally since this seems like a question only he could answer.

Adam Enomoto 1L

Postby Adam Enomoto 1L » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm

The only ones we need to know is that visible light is from 400nm to 700nm. We don't need to know what UV or gamma radiation's wavelengths are. I'm sure it'll be good to know what order it goes in though.

Maddie Hong 1I

Postby Maddie Hong 1I » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:30 pm

I think it would be helpful to know that ultraviolet light is next to visible light on the 400 nm side and infrared light is next to visible light on the 700 nm side.

Dylan Mai 1D

Postby Dylan Mai 1D » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 pm

my TA said a good way to remember how ultraviolet is next to visible light on the 400nm side and how infrared light is on the 700nm side is by just looking at the names themselves. Ultraviolet is next to the violet side of visible light and infrared light is on the red side of visible light

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Wavelengths and Frequency of Electromagnetic Radiation  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Maddie Hong 1I wrote:I think it would be helpful to know that ultraviolet light is next to visible light on the 400 nm side and infrared light is next to visible light on the 700 nm side.

Yes, students should know this. Now I've answered the question. :-)

Joshua Xian 1D

Postby Joshua Xian 1D » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 pm

When the textbook shows the range of wavelengths that fall into each type of EMR, which category do the ones in between belong to (e.g. x-ray is 10 nm - 1 pm, gamma ray is 1 pm - 0.1 pm, is radiation of wavelength 1 pm considered an x-ray or gamma ray)?

Return to “Properties of Light”