How to use the Rydberg Formula?  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ryan Fang 1D

How to use the Rydberg Formula?

Postby Ryan Fang 1D » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:39 pm

In a Rydberg equation problem, you are given two n values. The Rydberg formula is: frequency = R(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2). How do I know which n comes first in the Rydberg formula? How do I know which one is n1 and which one is n2?

Sarah Rutzick 1L

Re: How to use the Rydberg Formula?  [ENDORSED]

Postby Sarah Rutzick 1L » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:07 pm

You want n1 to be the energy level that the electron drops to, and n2 to be the energy level that the electron drops from, so n1 will be the smaller n value and n2 will be the larger n value.

skalvakota2H

Re: How to use the Rydberg Formula?

Postby skalvakota2H » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Since the Rydberg formula is essentially a change equation describing the change in energy from one energy level to another, one will always calculate the difference as final minus initial. This is one way to remember that in the parenthesis, n2 is the final energy level for the electron.

Sabah Islam 1G

Postby Sabah Islam 1G » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:38 pm

You can also use the equation: En=-hR/n^2 to find the energy of a energy level and do that for the final and initial energy levels and subtract the initial energy from the final energy to find the energy difference between two energy levels. It is always final energy level - initial energy level.

Jason Liu 1C

Postby Jason Liu 1C » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:30 pm

I don't see the Rydberg formula on the constants and equations sheet. Does that mean we will have to memorize it? I also don't quite understand why there is a negative sign in the formula En=-hR/n^2

Justin Lai 1C

Postby Justin Lai 1C » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm pretty sure all equations that we need on the test will be provided on the equations sheet. It is negative because some people switch the n1 with the n2 and to keep frequency as a positive number, they use the negative sign.

Allyson Charco Dis1G

Postby Allyson Charco Dis1G » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Potentially aren't there two formulas which are v=-R [1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2] and you could also use the equation that professor Lavelle went over in class in which we calculate n 1 and 2 separately and then subtract them. It all come to which preference you prefer the first equation requires less computation. And all the variables have a value
n= is the energy level
R= rdyberg constant : 3.29x10^15 Hzs^-1
h=6.626x10^-34
And in the problems we are either given n or v to calculate whatever it is they are asking for. But anyways both formulas work and should give you the same answer.
Oh i forgot to include the other equation which professor Lavelle used in class.
E sub n= -hR/n^2

Return to “Properties of Light”