test 2 topic

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sophie Krylova 2J

test 2 topic

Postby Sophie Krylova 2J » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Are we expected to know the material in the textbook not covered in the lectures for the test? For ex, section 1.1 of the textbook, where the experiments leading to the current atomic model are described?

Emilie Hoffman 1E

Re: test 2 topic

Postby Emilie Hoffman 1E » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 pm

I don't believe that this kind of information fits what Lavelle expects us to know because it doesn't revolve around problem solving or any basic concepts for the equations we use in this chapter. Also, since he didn't specifically cover any other experiment other than the photo-electric effect, I would not expect that any other experiments would be required for this exam.

MadisonFuentes1G

Postby MadisonFuentes1G » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 pm

Professor Lavelle teaches from the notes, and the book is used to supplement his lectures and give the homework problems. A lot of the time, the book will correspond with his lectures and notes, but not always. In those cases, it’s probably best to ask your TA or Lavelle himself to make sure, but looking at what he covered in the lecture is usually the route to go.

StephanieRusnak

Postby StephanieRusnak » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:00 pm

I think just focus on lecture notes and do a bunch of homework problems and thats pretty much everything we need to know

Jasmin Tran 1J

Postby Jasmin Tran 1J » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:55 am

What I've been doing to prepare for tests is by watching and going through his online modules after lectures for further understanding and to to test myself on the problems that he gives. I found that doing so helped a lot for the first test, so I imagine that it would be similar to this one. Hope this helps!

- Jasmin

Navleen Bajwa 3A

Postby Navleen Bajwa 3A » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Usually if the idea isn't mentioned at all in the homework, I would say don't focus your time too much on it. I assume Dr. Lavelle did not go over information in section 1.1 because the information is basic and general in comparison to the formulas or other concepts. I usually just study the homework and lecture notes.

Brigitte Phung 1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Brigitte Phung 1F » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:00 pm

For the most part, I feel that Lavelle will only test us on the topics he covers in lecture. In addition to reviewing the assigned homework and lecture notes, I also like looking at the lecture outlines to see exactly which topics we are expected to understand.

Guangyu Li 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Guangyu Li 2J » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Commonly, tests mainly cover what Dr. Lavelle taught in classes. So you don't need to worry about that too much. But actually the content of 1.1 section is not complicated, which is about the process that how scientists discover the atomic structure. It includes: Dalton's Structure (Atom), J.J.Thompson's "Cathode Ray" Experiment, "Plum-pudding Model" and Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment(Discovered electron and measured its electric charge), Rutherford's Experiment( Nuclear Structure).

Nathan Tu 2C

Postby Nathan Tu 2C » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Generally, Dr. Lavelle will let you know what is on the test. From what I've seen, its mostly concepts gone over in class and how well you can use those concepts. Like how well you can manipulate equations and the meaning behind them.

Dayanara Ruiz

Postby Dayanara Ruiz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:03 pm

I suggest asking your TA or Lavelle, but definitely do many homework problems, and understand the examples he does in class. Give the chapter a quick read would not hurt to better supplement the material.

Return to “Properties of Light”