EM spectrum

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Simrina Desar Dis 1H

EM spectrum

Postby Simrina Desar Dis 1H » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Would we need to know all the wavelengths of light in the EM spectrum?

Morgan Baxter 1E

Re: EM spectrum

Postby Morgan Baxter 1E » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 pm

My TA told me that in terms of visible light, we should know the top and bottom of the range of wavelengths for visible light, and know which end corresponds to red and which corresponds to violet, but that we do not need to know, for example, exactly what is the wavelength for green and what is orange. In terms of the other types of light, I think it is important to know the order of increasing/decreasing wavelengths, but I don't think there will be any specific questions as specific as the wavelength of a microwave.

Nickolas Manipud 1C

Postby Nickolas Manipud 1C » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:50 am

You should know that visible light is about 400-700 nm.

It also may be useful to know the order of the EM spectrum and that the Balmer series consists of visible light and Lyman consists of UV.

Vasiliki G Dis1C

Postby Vasiliki G Dis1C » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:02 pm

You don't need to know specific wavelengths, but I think it is helpful to know the relative wavelengths of the whole spectrum. For example, gamma-rays or x-rays have shorter wavelengths than microwaves and etc.

Adam Enomoto 1L

Postby Adam Enomoto 1L » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:19 pm

I noticed that one of the questions asked us what visible color is of the wavelength 486. Should I know the exact ranges of when purple becoming blue since the answer was blue?

Angel R Morales Dis1G

Postby Angel R Morales Dis1G » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 pm

Adam Enomoto 1K wrote:I noticed that one of the questions asked us what visible color is of the wavelength 486. Should I know the exact ranges of when purple becoming blue since the answer was blue?

I took the test today and nothing was asked regarding the color of the wavelength; however, my t.a did mention a couple of times that you should know the range of the visible light, red=700, violet=400, as well as having a general idea of the wavelength of the other waves.

Chloe Blume 1F

Postby Chloe Blume 1F » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:58 pm

It is not required to know the exact wavelengths of the spectra but I do think it is important you know the general idea of what order the waves go in. For example you should know that infrared wavelengths are longer than visible light wavelengths and that visible light wavelengths are longer than ultraviolet wavelengths.

Return to “Properties of Light”