Amplitude properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kyle Alves 3K

Amplitude properties

Postby Kyle Alves 3K » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:36 am

I'm having some confusion over what happens when amplitude changes! I know amplitude is the height of waves, but I'm confused when that changes how it affects wavelength and frequency. Wouldn't it make sense if the height of the waves increased, that the frequency of the waves would increase as well? And that would mean that there is more energy as well? Or does amplitude only have to do with wavelength? Thanks!

Matthew Lee 3L

Re: Amplitude properties

Postby Matthew Lee 3L » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:38 am

Amplitude does not affect wavelength or frequency. Wavelength and frequency, however, have an inverse relationship, which means as one increases the other decreases.

Isabella Sanzi 2E

Postby Isabella Sanzi 2E » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:59 pm

I would just also like to add that amplitude affects the intensity of light, so increasing the amplitude would only affect the intensity at which the light is shining on the metal. Only increasing the frequency or decreasing the wavelength (which would both result in increasing energy of the light wave) would affect the ability for a photon to eject an electron from a piece of metal.

Yeyang Zu 2J

Postby Yeyang Zu 2J » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 am

Amplitude is independent from frequency and wavelength.
Amplitude decides the brightness of light( the number of photons)
The higher the frequency is , the more energy light has.
Frequency and wavelength are reversely related.

Troy Tavangar 1I

Postby Troy Tavangar 1I » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:28 pm

Amplitude has no relationship with either the frequency or the wavelength, however, the wavelength and the frequency have an opposite relationship in the way that if one increases, the other decreases and vice versa.

Return to “Properties of Light”