Need help on 1.4

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amanda Cardenas 1J

Need help on 1.4

Postby Amanda Cardenas 1J » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:37 pm

I need help on question 1.4. Any advice on how to conquer questions like this will be greatly appreciated.
1.4: Which of the following statements about the electromagnetic spectrum is true? Explain your reasoning.
a) X-rays travel faster than the infrared radiation because they have higher energy.
b) The wavelength of visible radiation decreases as its color changes from blue to green.
c) The frequency of infrared radiation, which has a wavelength of 1.0 x 10^3 nm, is half that of radio waves, which have a wavelength of 1.0 x 10^6 nm.
d) The frequency of infrared radiation, which has a wavelength of 1.0 x 10^3 nm, is twice that of radio waves, which have a wavelength of 1.0 x 10^6 nm.

EllenRenskoff-1C

Re: Need help on 1.4

Postby EllenRenskoff-1C » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 pm

I would use Table 1.1, which is on pg. 4. I'm not sure if we have to memorize the wavelengths for each color on the visible light spectrum, but understanding this table should at least help with parts a and b of the question!

Jack Dias

Re: Need help on 1.4

Postby Jack Dias » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi,

It is important to keep in mind the key ideas of wavelength, frequency, etc; for example, if light has a small wavelength, what does this indicate about its amount of energy? I think it would be helpful to know which colors have higher and lower energies. Remember the acronym ROY G BIV (Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet), as the colors are in order from lowest to highest energy as well as largest to smallest wavelength. Knowing which types of electromagnetic radiation are more/less energetic in comparison to one another, such as ultraviolet versus infrared versus X-ray versus whatever else, is important.

Best,
Jack

Return to “Properties of Light”