Atomic Spectra Electron Emission

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Faisal Alshamaa - 1L

Atomic Spectra Electron Emission

Postby Faisal Alshamaa - 1L » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Hello,
I was wondering about how the electron, when returning from its excited state and down the energy levels following the absorption of light and I have a couple of questions.
1. Do the electrons physically absorb the photon or just its energy?
2. What are the effects of electrons emitting the photon? Does this produce heat or reflect light back at us? Or is this in such a small scale that it means nothing, physically speaking, besides showing that light has particle-like properties?
3. Do we know the structure of a light particle, or a photon? In other words, do we know what it actually looks like?
Thanks!

Moris 1H

Re: Atomic Spectra Electron Emission

Postby Moris 1H » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Faisal Alshamaa - 1L wrote:Hello,
I was wondering about how the electron, when returning from its excited state and down the energy levels following the absorption of light and I have a couple of questions.
1. Do the electrons physically absorb the photon or just its energy?
2. What are the effects of electrons emitting the photon? Does this produce heat or reflect light back at us? Or is this in such a small scale that it means nothing, physically speaking, besides showing that light has particle-like properties?
3. Do we know the structure of a light particle, or a photon? In other words, do we know what it actually looks like?
Thanks!

1. I think that the electron doesn't physically absorb the photon, the atom does. The kinetic energy is taken from the photon and absorbed by the electron.
2. When electrons change energy levels (jump up or down in energy) they release heat. I'm not sure about real-life applications however.
3. Photons are simply particles of light. They are wave-particles meaning that the have the properties of both waves and particles.

Sam Metzger 1C

Re: Atomic Spectra Electron Emission

Postby Sam Metzger 1C » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:09 pm

1) Right, because a photon is a wave particle its energy is absorbed by an electron which gets "excited" and jumps to the next energy level.
2) Once the electron has absorbed the energy from a photon and jumped an energy level, it returns to its original state. This process releases energy as heat/light.
3) It is simply a wave but it ACTS like a particle.

Return to “Properties of Light”