Properties of Light  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

BriannaParrington-1B

Properties of Light

Postby BriannaParrington-1B » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Is the concept of light is that light acts with individual photons rather than acting like a wave?

Alesha Vaughn 1E

Re: Properties of Light

Postby Alesha Vaughn 1E » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:25 pm

A photon is a particle representing a quantum of light or other electromagnetic radiation. I believe the concept is that light shares characteristics of acting as a wave and as a particle. Photons experience refraction like a wave but it also contains a fixed energy like a particle. I hope this helps some.

Harmonie Ahuna-1C

Postby Harmonie Ahuna-1C » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Alesha Vaughn 1E wrote:A photon is a particle representing a quantum of light or other electromagnetic radiation. I believe the concept is that light shares characteristics of acting as a wave and as a particle. Photons experience refraction like a wave but it also contains a fixed energy like a particle. I hope this helps some.

What exactly is a "quantum" of light?

Alesha Vaughn 1E

Postby Alesha Vaughn 1E » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Harmonie Ahuna-1C wrote:
Alesha Vaughn 1E wrote:A photon is a particle representing a quantum of light or other electromagnetic radiation. I believe the concept is that light shares characteristics of acting as a wave and as a particle. Photons experience refraction like a wave but it also contains a fixed energy like a particle. I hope this helps some.

What exactly is a "quantum" of light?

Quantum means a packet of energy. So think of of it as "A photon is a particle representing a wavelength of light."

Yadira Flores 1G

Postby Yadira Flores 1G » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:14 pm

A quantum of light of wavelength is the minimum amount of energy which can be stored in an electromagnetic wave at that wavelength, which is Planck's constant h times the frequency. (E=hv)

Alejandro Salazar 1D

Re: Properties of Light  [ENDORSED]

Postby Alejandro Salazar 1D » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm not sure if this helps your question but light behaves BOTH like a wave and a particle. Wave-particle duality

Return to “Properties of Light”