Light is a wave and a particle?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rogelio Bazan 1D

Light is a wave and a particle?

Postby Rogelio Bazan 1D » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Dr. Lavelle in lecture began to explain in class about the classical behavior of a light wave, but what got me confused was toward the end of the lecture we began to talk about light as if it was a particle and not a wave. Why is this? Does it have anything to do with what we discussed, the Photoelectric effect?

Thanks,
Roger Bazan

AnthonyDis1A

Re: Light is a wave and a particle?

Postby AnthonyDis1A » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Light can be both a wave and a stream of particles (photons). It travels as a wave, but when participating in chemical reactions (i.e. being absorbed or emitted by elements), transfer energy in distinct quantities/particles. The photoelectric effect is one of those example chemical reactions.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 418 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Light can act both as a wave and a particle. This is the phenomenon of wave-particle duality. The light shown via diffraction was thought of as waves in the classical thinking, but quantum mechanics and experiments such as the photoelectric effect have shown that light can also act like a particle which transfers its quanta of energy. We accept this dual behavior because of the experimental observations we made, not necessarily due to having a perfect explanation for it.

Christina Inchuachan 1C

Postby Christina Inchuachan 1C » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Light is both a wave and a particle. Light has wave-like characteristics such as diffraction, reflection, and refraction. When UV light hits a metal surface, it causes an emission of electrons, called the photoelectric effect. The photoelectric effect supports that light is also a stream of particles.

Cameron Smith 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Cameron Smith 1I » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Would there be any instance in which light acts as a wave but not a particle?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 418 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:20 pm

All the statement is saying is that light can behave like a wave and/or also behave like a particle. So, there are situations where describing wave-like is more applicable (diffraction) or describing particle-like is more applicable (photoelectric effect).

Return to “Properties of Light”