Equations in Quantum

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jimmy lira-1G

Equations in Quantum

Postby Jimmy lira-1G » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:30 pm

What did professor Lavelle mean by equations in Quantum mechanics have variables that are quantized , or discrete ?
-Jimmy Lira 1-G

Corryn Doll

Re: Equations in Quantum

Postby Corryn Doll » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 pm

I believe he was meaning to convey the sense that equations in Quantum mechanics have specific units that are consistently used making it so that the answer given is always of a specific magnitude. In class he gave the example of the energy of an electron in the hydrogen atom. He explained that the energy of an electron in the hydrogen atom changes as a function of n, where n can only be whole numbers (integers) and not just any input value. This function of n then will always produce an answer within a specific magnitude, or range.

I hope this helped.

Maria Trujillo 1L

Re: Equations in Quantum

Postby Maria Trujillo 1L » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:11 pm

What I believe Dr. Lavelle meant by discrete is that there are only whole numbers and that is because of how small the particles, such as electrons are. This is evident in the energy levels, like you can't be at level 1.12443262, it has to be 1 or 2, thus you are constrained to those numbers. Which is why if your output of energy is like 3.6, you will stay at 3, and not be at level 4, because there is no rounding. I hope this was helpful.

Return to “Properties of Light”