1.A.11 Atomic Spectra

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Layal Suboh 1I

1.A.11 Atomic Spectra

Postby Layal Suboh 1I » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:39 pm

Hello,

I'm having trouble with 1.A.11. The question is:

In the spectrum of atomic hydrogen, several lines are generally classified together as belonging to a series (for example, Balmer series or Lyman series, as shown in Fig.1A.1). What is common to the lines within a series that makes grouping them together logical?

I think the answer is that they are apart of the same energy levels, but I'm having trouble understanding what the Balmer and Lyman series are.

Thank you!

Srikar_Ramshetty 1K

Re: 1.A.11 Atomic Spectra

Postby Srikar_Ramshetty 1K » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:55 pm

The 3 main series of the hydrogen spectrum are Lyman, Balmer and Paschen series. Each series are contains several 'lines' in the spectrum and you are right that they are related to the same energy level. Lyman being n'=1, Balmer being n'=2, and Paschen being n'=3. Also each grouping represents different areas of the electromagnetic spectrum. Lyman series represents wavelengths of ultraviolet light, Balmer series represents wavelengths of mostly visible light, and Paschen represents wavelengths of infrared light. These series represent emissions that occur when en electron moves form one energy level to the next. There are some graphics you can look up if you would like to visualize them.

Hope this helped!
- Srikar Ramshetty

Return to “Properties of Light”