Explaining answer for 1.3

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KylieY_3B

Explaining answer for 1.3

Postby KylieY_3B » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi, I'm curious about the reasoning for the answer to question 1.3 (6th edition).

The question is "Which of the following happens when the frequency of electromagnetic radiation decreases? Explain your reasoning."

I understand why most of the scenarios don't happen, except c) "The extent of the change in the electrical field at a given point decreases" is listed as happening. Can someone explain why?

Hannah Faris 1C

Re: Explaining answer for 1.3

Postby Hannah Faris 1C » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 pm

To my knowledge, the change of the electric fields corresponds to the frequency directly, so it makes sense that they would go down together (because the wave itself is the electrical field, since it oscillates less frequently there is less overall change). I'm not entirely sure though!

Shivangi_2J

Postby Shivangi_2J » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:13 am

when the frequency of the wave decreases, the wavelength is longer so waves broaden (spread out) and the extent of the change (aka the slope of the wave) decreases

AustinGrove3B

Postby AustinGrove3B » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:05 am

The question is confusing because the "extent of the change" is a really weird way of saying the slope of the graph. It wants you to see what would happen to the slope of the wave when freq decreases (wavelength increases) and therefore slope decreases (less steep). Its just a poorly worded question.

Miriam Sheetz 2B

Postby Miriam Sheetz 2B » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:49 pm

So when the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases so the slope is flatter. When the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases so the slope is steeper. So in this example, when the frequency decreases, the slope becomes flatter and the extent of change is lesser.

Return to “Properties of Light”