Frday's lecture

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Karolina herrera1F

Frday's lecture

Postby Karolina herrera1F » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Im still not sure why if c=lamba v and v=c/lamba give you the equation E= hv= hc/lamba. Is it because you combine both of them, but why would you combine them?can someone explain this to me?

Jeril Joseph 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Frday's lecture

Postby Jeril Joseph 1B » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:51 pm

That's basically the reason. You substitute the v for the c/lambda, and because that's multiplied by h, you put them together to make E=hc/lambda. Then, if you want to solve for the wavelength, you cross multiply the equation, and divide both sides by e to get lambda=hc/e.

Karina Vasquez 1D

Postby Karina Vasquez 1D » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:42 pm

I know this doesn't really have to do with the question, but how do you find the threshold energy, or would it always be given? In a vague way? So for example, in the second question from the lecture I'm assuming the threshold is 3.61 x 10^-19 J. Is that going to be the threshold unless it explicitly states that the threshold energy is something different?

Kguox1B

Postby Kguox1B » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:36 pm

Thank you for relating both equations step by step, my brain appreciates it!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 635 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:20 am

Karina,

The threshold energy could be directly provided, such as the "threshold energy is...". Or it can be implied such as in the lecture example, "An X amount of energy is applied and the electron had no kinetic energy" which means you had enough energy to only release the electron, which means you only applied the necessary amount- the threshold energy.

A question may provide an assortment of info, such as velocity, wavelength, frequency, and momentum and it may want you to find the threshold energy.

An important part for success of the photoelectric effect section is really understanding all the different things you can find from the E(photon)=E(threshold)+E(kinetic)

Return to “Properties of Light”