Question 1A.5

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KNguyen_1I

Question 1A.5

Postby KNguyen_1I » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:00 pm

1A.5 Arrange the following types of photons of electromagnetic
radiation in order of increasing energy: g -rays, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, microwaves, x-rays.

So, just to clarify, energy is proportional to wavelength, so in order to find the answers to this problem I should arrange the types of light in order from longest wavelength (therefore the least energy) to the shortest wavelength (then, the most energy)?

Adam Kramer 1A

Re: Question 1A.5

Postby Adam Kramer 1A » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Yes, since the question asks for increasing energy, you would need least to most energy, meaning longest wavelength to shortest wavelength. Short wavelengths correspond to higher energy, and long wavelengths correspond to lower energy.

Daniel Honeychurch1C

Postby Daniel Honeychurch1C » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Since E = hv, a low energy means a low frequency (energy and frequency are proportional). Then since c= vλ, a low frequency means a long wavelength (frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional). Therefore, long wavelengths have low energy. For the order of increasing energy, it should go from the longest wavelength to the shortest wavelength.

Ashley Nguyen 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ashley Nguyen 2L » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:43 am

You are correct. Shorter wavelength/higher frequency corresponds to higher energy, while longer wavelength/lower frequency corresponds to lower energy. This is because a particle is able to complete more oscillations in a 1 second interval.

Return to “Properties of Light”