Light intensity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

McKenna_4A

Light intensity

Postby McKenna_4A » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:35 am

When Dr. Lavelle states that light can be at "higher intensity," what does this mean with respect to wave properties?

Diana_Diep2I

Re: Light intensity

Postby Diana_Diep2I » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:15 am

I'm not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but in terms of wave properties, higher intensity means that the amplitudes of the waves are higher. However, wavelength remains the same compared to higher frequency, where the wavelength is decreased. And he also said that if light only had wave properties, having a higher intensity would be enough to remove an electron//However, increasing intensity is useless until you get the right (high) frequency.

ALegala_2I

Postby ALegala_2I » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:11 am

In terms of wave properties, higher intensity means a greater wave amplitude and therefore a greater amount of energy. In the photoelectric experiment, it was found that increasing the intensity of light did not increase the energy of light. So this experiment supported the idea that light did not have wave like properties but particle like properties.

Kayli Choy 2F

Postby Kayli Choy 2F » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:36 pm

In contrast, intensity with respect to particle properties is proportional to the number of photons. The higher the intensity, the more protons are present.

Ashley Nguyen 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ashley Nguyen 2L » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:35 am

If light is at a higher intensity, the amplitude of the wave is simply higher. The frequency and wavelength remains the same. One way you could achieve a higher intensity light is by increasing the number of photons. However, this change did not impact the photoelectric experiment because one single photon must have equal to or greater than the threshold energy to eject an electron. Increasing the number of photons would not help in overcoming the threshold energy.

BeylemZ-1B

Postby BeylemZ-1B » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:25 pm

McKenna_4A wrote:When Dr. Lavelle states that light can be at "higher intensity," what does this mean with respect to wave properties?

Intensity can be found mathematically too! Intensity = (Amplitude)^2 if i am not mistaken.

Michelle Xie 2B

Postby Michelle Xie 2B » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 am

The higher intensity in terms of wave properties would just mean a larger amplitude.

Return to “Properties of Light”