Formulas

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Formulas

Postby 605379296 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:25 pm

I can't seem to know when to use the H-atom spectrum formula and the Rydberg equation, since they both include the final and initial energy levels. For example, I used the H-atom spectrum for question #1A. 13, but you're supposed to use the Rydberg equation instead...

Kassidy Ford 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Formulas

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:33 pm

They are essentially the same equation. The Rydberg equation is simply derived from using the H-atom equation twice, with the final and initial n values. You can use either and get the same answer, however Prof Lavelle suggested using the H-atom equation because it is easier to understand than trying to plug values into the Rydberg equation. Remember, final minus initial and you should be good!

VPatankar_2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Formulas

Postby VPatankar_2L » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:48 am

Yes, both equations will essentially give you the same result. Dr. Lavelle suggested using the H-atom equation because it really helps you see whats going on during the transitions, and how the energy is affected. This will allow you to understand the fact that energy is emitted (and thus lost) when the electron falls to a lower energy level. Whereas with the Rydberg equation, you are plugging in numbers without entirely understanding the significance. I'm sure that once you completely understand the concepts, you can use the Rydberg equation.

Return to “Properties of Light”