Electromagnetic Spectrum

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ellis Song 4I

Electromagnetic Spectrum

Postby Ellis Song 4I » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:53 pm

Do we need to memorize the range of wavelengths that each type of radiation have and what order they go in the electromagnetic spectrum. In question 1A 9 in the homework, we are asked to fill out the chart and then determine the type of radiation and events for each line. Are we allowed to refer to a spectrum for this or is this something we should know?

Doreen Liu 4D

Re: Electromagnetic Spectrum

Postby Doreen Liu 4D » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:14 pm

I believe the spectrum is something you should know. Just remember that the more dangerous waves like Gamma rays and x-rays are on the high frequency, low wavelength end of the spectrum, while waves like microwaves and radio waves are on the low frequency, high wavelength end of the spectrum.

JOtomo1F

Postby JOtomo1F » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:16 pm

I hope we would be allowed to refer to a chart but I am not sure at all.

Sanjana K - 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sanjana K - 2F » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:00 pm

I don't think you'll need to memorize the exact wavelengths, but you should have a good idea of where the different waves lie in relation to one another. It might also help to come up with examples for each. The "types of EM Radiation" picture in this site is pretty nice.

https://www.britannica.com/science/elec ... c-spectrum
Attachments
Radio-waves-rays-light-gamma-ultraviolet-electromagnetic.jpg

Verity Lai 2K

Postby Verity Lai 2K » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:15 pm

I think we need to know the general placement of UV, Xray, visible, micro, infrared, etc, on the spectrum, like if they have shorter or longer wavelengths. I think we also have to know the range of wavelengths for visible light (400 to 700 nm).

ValerieChavarin 4F

Postby ValerieChavarin 4F » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:47 pm

I don't believe we have to memorize the exact ranges, but possibly their placement based on wavelength. I do think you should know the range of visible light because it is common.

Return to “Properties of Light”