Intensity of Light

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kevin Antony 1J

Intensity of Light

Postby Kevin Antony 1J » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:19 pm

So if I understand this correctly, increasing the intensity of light means increasing the number of photons. How exactly are able to increase the number of photons in light?

ATingin_3I

Re: Intensity of Light

Postby ATingin_3I » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:26 pm

I think it's just that when we increase the intensity of light then we increase the number of photons and vice versa. However, to determine if an electron is ejected, then we look at frequency instead.

Ramneet Sandhu 3D

Postby Ramneet Sandhu 3D » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:35 pm

In order to increase the number of photons, you would have to increase the power of the source that is supplying the energy, which would increase its intensity.

Alison Trinh 1A

Postby Alison Trinh 1A » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:45 pm

Increasing the intensity of light increases the number of photons. However, to eject an electron, the frequency needs to increase to increase the kinetic energy and thus release/eject the electron. The energy per photon has to be greater or equal to the energy needed to remove an electron.

EthanPham_4D

Postby EthanPham_4D » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:25 pm

I think that increasing the intensity of light results in more photons being emitted. However, in the photoelectric experiment, the frequency is what determines whether an electron is ejected. This is because the frequency of the wave determines the energy of each individual photon.

Return to “Properties of Light”