1A.3

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aliya Jain 2B

1A.3

Postby Aliya Jain 2B » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:22 am

For this question, I was able to use process of elimination, but I'm still pretty confused on the relationship between the frequency of electromagnetic radiation and the slope of the electric field. Does anyone know why they're related?

DHavo_1E

Re: 1A.3

Postby DHavo_1E » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:56 am

Aliya Jain 3J wrote:For this question, I was able to use process of elimination, but I'm still pretty confused on the relationship between the frequency of electromagnetic radiation and the slope of the electric field. Does anyone know why they're related?

Hello,

Yes, if a wave has a lower frequency, the wave is more elongated, making the difference in the changes of slope less in comparison to waves with a higher frequency and are more compressed, making differences in the changes of slope greater. I also found Figure 1A.B on page 5 in the textbook to be really helpful!

Letty Liu 2C

Postby Letty Liu 2C » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:11 am

I'm also confused about the relationship between the frequency of electromagnetic radiation and the extent of change in the electrical field.

Noah Canio 3C

Postby Noah Canio 3C » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Letty Liu 1K wrote:I'm also confused about the relationship between the frequency of electromagnetic radiation and the extent of change in the electrical field.

I second DHavo_3H's post. The extent of change in an electrical field at a given point has a positive correlation to the frequency of electromagnetic radiation.

Think of a wave.
Frequency refers to how many repetitions or cycles take place per second. (How many times a wave returns back to a specified initial starting point per second).
The extent of change in an electrical field refers to how often the electrical field returns back to a specified initial starting point. (Just as above, without considering time as a unit).

Therefore, if the frequency of electromagnetic radiation (repetitions per second) decreases, then the extent of change in an electrical field at a given point (# of repetitions back to given point) must decrease.

Return to “Properties of Light”