Problem 1A.9

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kimberly Koo 2I

Problem 1A.9

Postby Kimberly Koo 2I » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Problem 1A.9 gives a situation where throughout the day, a student does 4 different activities involving radiation from different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum (reading, getting a dental x-ray, microwaving popcorn, and getting a tan). Then it asks you to complete a table with frequency, wavelength, energy of photons, and the event. The first event has a given frequency of 8.7x10^14 Hz. The second event has a given energy of photon that is 3.3x10^-19 J. The third event has a given frequency at 300 MHz. The final event has a given wavelength of 2.5 nm. I was wondering how you can calculate the energy of the photon and then how to match each kind of radiation to the appropriate event. Thank you!

Amina Durrani 3G

Re: Problem 1A.9

Postby Amina Durrani 3G » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:35 pm

To calculate the energy of a photon use E=hv and to match the kind of radiation to the appropriate event compare the wavelength to the chart we viewed in class which gave the type of radiation and it’s corresponding wavelength.

Sarah Nichols 4C

Re: Problem 1A.9

Postby Sarah Nichols 4C » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:39 pm

To calculate the energy of the photon, you can use the equation E=hv (using the frequency that's either been given in the question or that you've calculated using wavelength). Then to match each kind of radiation to the appropriate event, you would look at the electromagnetic radiation spectrum and see what kind of radiation it is using the wavelength. For example, the first row ends up with a wavelength of 340 nm, which falls under the category of UV radiation, so you can match that to suntanning

Return to “Properties of Light”