wavelike properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kimberly Koo 2I

wavelike properties

Postby Kimberly Koo 2I » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:44 pm

In my lecture notes, I had written a lot about particles having "wavelike properties" and "measurable wavelike properties" and how a particle must have wavelike properties to work in DeBroglie's wave equation. Can someone expain exactly what these "wavelike properties" are? Thank you!

Daniel Yu 1E

Re: wavelike properties

Postby Daniel Yu 1E » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Wavelike properties is talking about things like amplitude, frequency, and wavelength. Only particles with small enough mass will exhibit wavelike properties, which can be proven by DeBroglie's equation. Things with wavelengths less than 10^-15m are widely considered to not exhibit wavelike properties.

Anish Patel 4B

Postby Anish Patel 4B » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Diffraction is the main one that he discussed in class. Constructive interference, where waves with same peaks interact with one another and gain amplitude, and destructive interference, where peaks interact with troughs and diminish in amplitude, both also can be used to describe diffraction patterns that show wavelike properties.

Abigail_Hagen2G

Postby Abigail_Hagen2G » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:21 pm

When it says measurable wavelike properties, it just means that it's not smaller than 10^-15, because that's not detectable.

Ashley R 1A

Postby Ashley R 1A » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Essentially, there is evidence that electromagnetic radiation has "wave-like properties" as you said. The most prevalent evidence is the concept of diffraction, which is when an object is in a light ray's path, it generates patterns of high and low intensities, which causes light to oscillate up and down. We can also see diffraction patterns which occur when the peaks/troughs of a light wave interfere with the peaks/troughs of another light wave. These are different from the particle model that's also accepted within the wave-particle duality of electromagnetic radiation.

Return to “Properties of Light”