Wave-Particle Behavior

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

TanveerDhaliwal3G

Wave-Particle Behavior

Postby TanveerDhaliwal3G » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Which observations support the particle behavior view of electromagnetic radiation and which observations support the wave view?

Rohit Ghosh 4F

Re: Wave-Particle Behavior

Postby Rohit Ghosh 4F » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:39 pm

The photoelectric effect is an example of the particle behavior view of electromagnetic radiation, while the double slit experiment supports the wave view.

Ali Polansky 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ali Polansky 1A » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:39 pm

The photoelectric experiment supports the particle model of light because even with high-intensity light, electrons were not always emitted, proving light does not only have wave properties; if it did, higher intensity would always mean more electrons emitted. When the energy to remove electrons is less than energy of photons, no electrons can be emitted, no matter the intensity level.

Michelle Song 1I

Postby Michelle Song 1I » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:44 pm

The photoelectric experiments support the particle behavior view, Young's double slit experiment (or any experiments that involve the diffraction of light) supports the wave behavior view (although I remember something about how light will act differently when its being observed). Someone above already said this but they posted while I was writing my answer so I'm going to post this anyways.

Vicki Liu 2L

Postby Vicki Liu 2L » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:48 pm

The photoelectric effect supports the particle behavior view, as it suggests that each photon interacts with each electron. On the other hand, an observation that supports the wave view is that diffraction patterns result from electrons being passed through a crystal, the same way they do when light waves are passed through.

Return to “Properties of Light”