P.E Experiment

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

John Liang 2I

P.E Experiment

Postby John Liang 2I » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:49 pm

"True or False? An electron in the n = 4 state in the hydrogen atom can go to the n = 2 state by emitting electromagnetic radiation at the appropriate frequency." Is there a distinction between an atom absorbing electromagnetic radiation and emitting it? Can't only light emit radiation? Are "absorb" and "emit" interchangeable across the atom and the light?

Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k

Re: P.E Experiment

Postby Alex Tchekanov Dis 2k » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Absorb and emit are not interchangeable terms. When an electron falls down from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, it will emit specific energy -- the same amount of energy needed to elevate it. For example, if a certain wave length excited an electron from n=2 to n=4, the amount of energy that was ABSORBED, would be exaxtly the amount of energy EMITTED when the electron goes back down. Hope that helps

Vicki Liu 2L

Postby Vicki Liu 2L » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Absorb means energy is being added to or gained by the system, while emit means energy is being lost or released by the system. In this case, I believe the answer is true, as the electron is going from a higher to lower energy level and energy is being lost.

Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby 505306205 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:45 pm

When an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, it emits or releases energy. The release of energy is associated with a more stable state. Transitioning from n=4 to n=2 allows the electron to achieve a more stable state, and thus, it emits energy.

Return to “Properties of Light”