Defraction patters

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JustinHorriat_4f

Defraction patters

Postby JustinHorriat_4f » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:11 pm

I am a bit confused about diffraction patters and wavelike properties. Do both light and electrons have wave like properties? If so, does that mean they both have Difraction patterns. Also, what are diffraction patters?

Esha Chawla 2E

Re: Defraction patters

Postby Esha Chawla 2E » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:17 pm

JustinHorriat_3b wrote:I am a bit confused about diffraction patters and wavelike properties. Do both light and electrons have wave like properties? If so, does that mean they both have Diffraction patterns. Also, what are diffraction patters?

Yes - both light and electrons have wave-like properties. This was proven by De Broglie's equation), the smaller and smaller an object gets. Thus, while we used to consider light as a wave, if you "zoom-in" on light to the photon level, it acts like individual particles. Similarly, while matter acts like a particle at the macro level, if you "zoom-in" to the particle level, it acts like a wave.

According to Professor Lavelle's Lecture, light does have diffraction patterns. However, I am not sure about electrons - we should ask Professor to confirm.

I think diffraction patterns are just the patterns formed when a wave interacts with an object. For example, light bends around an object, and this bending creates a pattern, which we call a "diffraction pattern."

AArmellini_1I

Postby AArmellini_1I » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Yes both light and electrons have wave like properties. As for defraction, it refers to the wave nature of both electrons and light. Lavelle used the example in class of a filter with holes in it and if you shine a beam of electrons/light through the filter the detector on the other side will detect these particles in locations not parallel to the holes in the filter. The only way this would be possible is if they has wave like properties (in the image they appear ripple-like).

Jocelyn Thorp 1A

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:19 am

JustinHorriat_3b wrote:I am a bit confused about diffraction patters and wavelike properties. Do both light and electrons have wave like properties? If so, does that mean they both have Difraction patterns. Also, what are diffraction patters?

ok so basically, light/electrons acting as waves means that there will be some interference (when waves act constructively to amplify or destructively to cancel each other out) if parts of the wave are obstructed. A diffraction pattern is the image that results from this constructive/destructive interference, and it would depend on the shape of the obstruction(s). I personally would recommend checking out crash course physics' episodes on light is waves and atomic spectra if you want a more in depth description.

Return to “Properties of Light”