1A.11

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joanne Kang 3I

1A.11

Postby Joanne Kang 3I » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 am

In the spectrum of atomic hydrogen, several lines are generally classified together as belonging to a series (for example, Balmer series or Lyman series, as shown in Fig. 1A.10). What is common to the lines within a series that makes grouping them together logical?

Can someone please explain the answer to this question? What is an absorption line?

Kelvin Chung 1C

Re: 1A.11

Postby Kelvin Chung 1C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:20 am

I think the answer is basically saying that for each series there is a common energy level that the electron returns to. For example, the Balmer series corresponds to the EM radiation that is emitted when an electron returns from any higher energy level to the lower energy level n=2, and Lyman to the lower energy level n=1.

Ashley Nguyen 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: 1A.11

Postby Ashley Nguyen 2L » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 am

The Balmer and Lyman series are grouped the way they are because of how they were discovered. The Balmer series corresponds to the emission lines emitted when a hydrogen atom returns to the energy level with principle quantum number 2. The Lyman series corresponds to the lower energy level with principle quantum number 1. An absorption line is the wavelength of EM radiation that is absorbed by the hydrogen atom that moves it down an energy level. The wavelength of EM energy that is absorbed is equal to the amount of energy needed to move the particle down an energy level.

Return to “Properties of Light”