How to increase the intensity of the photon

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Linda Ye 2F

How to increase the intensity of the photon

Postby Linda Ye 2F » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Once the photon energy reaches a certain threshold, by increasing the intensity of the photon, more electrons are ejected. I was wondering, how would you can increase the intensity of the photon?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: How to increase the intensity of the photon

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:54 pm

Note that one photon does not have any intensity, but rather it describes the number of photons

The intensity is increased by increasing the power supplied to the light source (like how you can make a lamp brighter or dimmer by moving a switch)

Eden Aberra 1I

Postby Eden Aberra 1I » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:00 am

During the photoelectric effect, the only way to remove electrons is when the photon's frequency reaches the threshold value of the metal.

Jonathan Shih 3H

Postby Jonathan Shih 3H » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:25 pm

As Dr. Lavelle said, the intensity is directly proportional to the number of electrons, so you can't increase the intensity, but rather you increase the intensity of the light ray by increasing the number of photons. Also, in your initial statement before your question, isn't the opposite true? Once you hit the threshold energy, increasing the intensity of the light ray NO LONGER ejects more electrons. Isn't that correct? Or is what you stated correct, that intensity ejects more electrons only after hitting a certain threshold energy?

Emma McGinnis 1G

Postby Emma McGinnis 1G » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:09 am

After re-watching the lecture video on the photoelectric effect, the answer became somewhat more clear. The intensity of the light only affects the number of electrons ejected and the speed at which they are ejected only after certain threshold energy (determined by the frequency of the incoming light) is reached. Once this frequency is reached, then a higher intensity light will eject more electrons.

Anthony_Sampayo_4I

Postby Anthony_Sampayo_4I » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:13 pm

A single photon cannot increase in intensity, but the intensity of the wave can increase by increasing the number of photons.

Matthew Huang 1C

Postby Matthew Huang 1C » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:41 pm

Is there a limit to the intensity of light? As in a threshold of photon density that cannot physically be surpassed? Not exactly relevant to chem 14a but I've been pretty curious about this one for a while now.

Return to “Properties of Light”