Amplitude and Velocity Relationship

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Wasila Sun 2I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Amplitude and Velocity Relationship

Postby Wasila Sun 2I » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:41 pm

At the end of today's introductory lecture of the quantum world, Dr. Lavelle had a diagram of waves and their relationship between wavelength and frequency to prove c=hv. While amplitude wasn't talked about in detail in the lecture, I was wondering if a wave with wavelength=x, v=4 Hz, and ampitude=y would have smaller velocity compared to a wave with wavelength=x, v=4 Hz, and amplitude=2y because the second one would have to travel a longer path in the same amount of time as wave 1, considering their only difference is amplitude.

I hope my question makes sense.

Lucy Wang 2J
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Amplitude and Velocity Relationship

Postby Lucy Wang 2J » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:46 pm

My understanding is that amplitude does not affect wave velocity. However, amplitude has more to do with the energy or intensity of the light? I'm not 100% sure though, anyone can feel free to correct me.

Sana Nagori 2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sana Nagori 2H » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:46 pm

Lucy Wang 1A wrote:My understanding is that amplitude does not affect wave velocity. However, amplitude has more to do with the energy or intensity of the light? I'm not 100% sure though, anyone can feel free to correct me.

I think you're correct. Amplitude is independent of frequency in simple harmonic motion which is basically the periodic motion that light waves follow.

josephspindler2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby josephspindler2H » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Sana Nagori 2J wrote:
Lucy Wang 1A wrote:My understanding is that amplitude does not affect wave velocity. However, amplitude has more to do with the energy or intensity of the light? I'm not 100% sure though, anyone can feel free to correct me.

I think you're correct. Amplitude is independent of frequency in simple harmonic motion which is basically the periodic motion that light waves follow.

As someone who likes physics/mechanics, it is cool to see it applied to chemistry concepts. Also thank you Sana for the concise explanation.

Return to “Properties of Light”