c=λv

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michelle Le 3C

c=λv

Postby Michelle Le 3C » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:49 pm

In the lecture, the equation c=λv was said to describe wavelength powers. I also believe the shape of this equation graphically is oscillatory and I was wondering what properties of this equation give it that behavior.

Andrew Wang 1C
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: c=λv

Postby Andrew Wang 1C » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:06 am

While it is true that c=λv describes the relationship betwen the wavelength and frequency of light, I don't think this equation allows you to figure out the exact graph. You would be able to conclude that the shape would be oscillatory however, since wavelength and frequency are both qualities of a wave (oscillation).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm a little unsure of this myself. Hope this helps!

Nika Gladkov 1A
Been upvoted: 6 times

Postby Nika Gladkov 1A » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:37 am

I do not believe that the equation itself has an oscillating shape. Since c is a constant, you can relate the value of the wavelength to the value of frequency by dividing by wavelength. The equation that you obtain is . If you place frequency on the y-axis and wavelength on the x-axis, you will get a function of the form of rational functions, not an oscillating function like trigonometric functions that describe waves.

I think that the reason light can be described by oscillating functions is because they can illustrate the frequency in relation to the amplitude of light.

Megan Sparrow 1A
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Megan Sparrow 1A » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:39 am

Hey, I believe Nika was correct in the reply earlier, but here's a link that helps clarify part of the question you asked.

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves ... try_(CK-12)/05%3A_Electrons_in_Atoms/5.02%3A_Wavelength_and_Frequency_Calculations

Megan Sparrow 1A
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Megan Sparrow 1A » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:42 am

Sorry, the link I sent earlier isn't working. If you search "5.2: Wavelength and Frequency Calculations," the website I am referring to should be the first post.

Wil Chai 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Wil Chai 3D » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:47 am

Building off some other people's responses:

Try putting the equation x=c/y where c is any constant into a a graphing calculator (https://www.desmos.com/calculator). You will see a hyperbola, not an oscillating function. c = lamda*v just tells you that frequency and wavelength are inversely related. You'd need a trig function like sin or cos to have an oscillating graph.

Return to “Properties of Light”