Memorization of Increasing Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Inderpal Singh 2L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Memorization of Increasing Energy

Postby Inderpal Singh 2L » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:23 pm

Do we need to memorize the order of electromagnetic radiation in order of increasing energy?

Like placing the following in order: γ-rays, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, microwaves, x-rays.

Jay Solanki 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Memorization of Increasing Energy

Postby Jay Solanki 3A » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Hey Inderpal!

I'm not sure if it is 100% necessary, but I suggest doing so just in case! I don't think there will be questions that indicate to blatantly "rank" them by decreasing wavelength, decreasing energy, etc. But it may ask us to find a wavelength or frequency and then indicate which type of light is used. In other words do so just in case. I used flashcards in high school to memorize the ranges of wavelengths that correspond to each light type, so that was helpful, but I am sure there are other ways to do so. Hope this helps!

Jay Solanki

SahajDole_1C

Postby SahajDole_1C » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:08 pm

I think you should have an understanding of the levels of the light, but I do not think we will be required to memorize the order of it.

Hasmik Dis 2F

Postby Hasmik Dis 2F » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:53 pm

I was in the same step-up session that spoke about this. The UA said that we should at least have an idea of the order! She gave a good mnemonic for memorization:
Rabbits - radio waves
Mate - microwaves
In - infrared
Very - visible light (400-700nm)
Unusually - UV
Expensive - x-rays
Gardens - gamma rays
This goes from lowest to highest frequency! Hope this helped :)

Juliet Carr 1F

Postby Juliet Carr 1F » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:25 pm

I think we are expected to know the order of electromagnetic radiation for tests and exams because there was a question about it in one of the topic 1A exercises that Lavelle assigned (not graded), and I remember the syllabus explaining how test/exam questions are directly related to homework problems as well as class content and textbook readings. So, since it shows up in the readings and problems I think it would be smart to have it memorized.

Return to “Properties of Light”