bohr frequency condition

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Funmi Baruwa

bohr frequency condition

Postby Funmi Baruwa » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Can someone explain what the bohr frequency condition is trying to say essentially? I think I have an understanding but I am not sure.

Jade_Tai_2L

Re: bohr frequency condition

Postby Jade_Tai_2L » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:43 pm

Bohr's frequency condition is ΔE=hv, meaning the difference in energy (when a high energy e- drops to a lower energy e- level) is equal to Planck's constant x frequency. (lmk if this is wrong! I'm not completely sure myself)
Last edited by Jade_Tai_2L on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 891 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:43 pm

Essentially it is saying that when an electron goes from a higher to a lower energy level, the difference in energy is given off as a photon. This is why the equation relates delta E to (h)(frequency)!

Stuti Pradhan 2J
Been upvoted: 5 times

Postby Stuti Pradhan 2J » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:49 pm

The Bohr Frequency Condition basically states that light will be absorbed when the frequency of the incoming light is equal to the energy difference for that electron transition. This means that the difference is energy levels divided by Planck's constant will give you the frequency, giving rise to the equation deltaE=hv, where delta E is the change in energy, h is Planck's constant, and v (technically nu) is the frequency. I think the main idea to understand here is that energy is quantized and each element has very specific energy levels, correlating to very specific frequencies of light they can absorb.

Hope this helps!

Maddie Turk Disc 2J

Postby Maddie Turk Disc 2J » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:04 pm

Basically the bohr frequency condition is that the energy give off when an electron goes from a higher energy level to a lower one it is given off as a photon.

Return to “Properties of Light”