Balmer Series vs Lyman Series

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sondia Luong 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Balmer Series vs Lyman Series

Postby Sondia Luong 1C » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:40 pm

I know that the Balmer series is the name of the spectral emission lines produced by hydrogen, but I get a little confused when comparing the Balmer series with Lyman series. During one of the slides in lecture, the Balmer series is on the side of infrared radiation while the Lyman series is on the side of ultraviolet radiation. Does this mean that both types of radiation is used in an atomic spectroscopy?

apurva-3E

Re: Balmer Series vs Lyman Series

Postby apurva-3E » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Atomic spectroscopy often measures the wavelength absorbed / emitted. Depending on the wavelength of the photon, it could fit into any part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Connie Liang 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Connie Liang 3L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:57 pm

It might be helpful to remember the definitions of both series. The Lyman Series is composed of emissions of when a hydrogen electron falls to the first energy level. This corresponds to UV light. The Balmer series is composed of emissions when electrons fall to the second energy level, and this corresponds with visible light. Depending on the type of light shown onto the hydrogen sample, electrons could excite/fall to different energy levels.

keely_bales_1f

Postby keely_bales_1f » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:13 pm

Just remember that Balmer series is in the visible region whereas the Lyman series is in the UV region. I also attached a diagram that was included in Lecture 6 that I drew out in my notes. I hope you find it helpful!
Attachments
IMG_5628.JPG

Return to “Properties of Light”