Properties of photons

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Adalia 3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Properties of photons

Postby Adalia 3E » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:00 pm

How do photons have momentum but no mass? Not sure if I'm understanding the lecture properly

Malakai Espinosa 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Properties of photons

Postby Malakai Espinosa 3E » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Photons do have a mass! They're a little heavier than electrons. I didn't catch the part about photons not having mass in lecture, but photons, neutrons, and electrons all have mass. Hope that clarifies things.

Wait ignore this I misread the question.
Last edited by Malakai Espinosa 3E on Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claire_Kim_2F

Postby Claire_Kim_2F » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Your statement is correct and photons get their energy from their momentum rather from their mass because they still obey the equation E=pc.

Crystal Yu 1D
Been upvoted: 12 times

Postby Crystal Yu 1D » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Photons do not have a rest mass, but they do have momentum. This is why the De Broglie equation still works for photons. I'm not sure exactly which part of the lecture you were referring to, but I hope this helps! :)

Malakai Espinosa 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Malakai Espinosa 3E » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:29 pm

Malakai Espinosa 3D wrote:Photons do have a mass! They're a little heavier than electrons. I didn't catch the part about photons not having mass in lecture, but photons, neutrons, and electrons all have mass. Hope that clarifies things.

Wait my bad I thought you were talking about protons haha. Like the others said, photons are particles of light so they don't have an actual mass but they still have momentum so they can still be used in equations concerning momentum like De Broglie.

Return to “Properties of Light”