Wavelengths in Light Spectrum

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mrudula Akkinepally

Wavelengths in Light Spectrum

Postby Mrudula Akkinepally » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:13 pm

Hi! So for the first midterm do we just have to memorize what part of the light spectrum visible light is in, or the specific wavelength of each color? For example, do we need to know the wavelength of red specifically, or can we just know that visible light ranges from 380 nm to 700 nm?

Megan Chan 3A

Re: Wavelengths in Light Spectrum

Postby Megan Chan 3A » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:18 pm

I am not 100% sure, but I think we need to memorize the order of the electromagnetic spectrum (radio waves to gamma rays) and to know that the visible light region has a wavelength ranging from 400nm to 700nm.

Tatyana Bonnet 2H

Postby Tatyana Bonnet 2H » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:33 pm

It would be good to know the order in regards to questions regarding wavelength. For example, knowing that Radio waves have the longest wavelength and then below that comes infrared(nm are in the 1000s), then visible light (720-400nm) and UV has shorter wavelengths with 400nm and below. I have seen some questions asking which ER a wavelength corresponds to so it would be good to familiarize the spectrum.

Siwa Hwang 3G

Postby Siwa Hwang 3G » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:47 pm

Yes. You should memorize the order and corresponding wavelegths of the lights. An acronym that should help you with memorizing the order of the lights is : Real Monkeys Insist Very Useful X-mas Gifts. Also, don’t forget to memorize the order of colors in the visible lights spectrum.

Inderpal Singh 2L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Inderpal Singh 2L » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:13 pm

I am personally going to familiarize myself with the spectrum. I feel like it will come in handy after the midterm as well :)

Katie Lam 2J

Postby Katie Lam 2J » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:36 pm

After attending my discussion section today, my TA told us to take a quick look at the reference sheet he will be giving us. If the electromagnetic spectrum is not on the reference sheet, it will be a good idea to go ahead and memorize it. Hope this helps!

Ann Cosico 2H

Postby Ann Cosico 2H » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:39 pm

I think it would be a pretty good idea to familiarize yourself with the electromagnetic spectrum, such as knowing which has the longer/shorter wavelength etc. :)

Kimiya Aframian IB

Postby Kimiya Aframian IB » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:47 pm

Mrudula Akkinepally wrote:Hi! So for the first midterm do we just have to memorize what part of the light spectrum visible light is in, or the specific wavelength of each color? For example, do we need to know the wavelength of red specifically, or can we just know that visible light ranges from 380 nm to 700 nm?

Hi! I was thinking about the same thing and think that based on some of the assigned textbook problems it would be a good idea to know the order of the different wavelengths and also a rough estimate of when each new type of wave starts/stops. Hope this helps!

BKoh_2E

Postby BKoh_2E » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:55 pm

In general, you should how the wavelengths of each group relate to each other. The important ones to take note of are visible light (red and blue), UV light, microwaves, x-rays, gamma, and infrared. I doubt he would ask for the specific wavelengths without providing extra information.

Tanya Nguyen 1B

Postby Tanya Nguyen 1B » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Yes, I would try to memorize as much of the EM spectrum as you can. My TA told me that it will not be provided on the test, so it would be good to memorize it.

Return to “Properties of Light”