Determining Required Intensity of Light Energy after Frequency per Electron is Known

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mason_Hoppe_1A

Determining Required Intensity of Light Energy after Frequency per Electron is Known

Postby Mason_Hoppe_1A » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:41 pm

When asked to find the required intensity of energy, after calculating the frequency of the light required to remove the electron, how do you then go on the determine the amount (intensity) needed to remove a given amount? Does this involve multiplication of the required energy by the amount of substance?

Nathan Sigel 2k
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Determining Required Intensity of Light Energy after Frequency per Electron is Known

Postby Nathan Sigel 2k » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:58 pm

From what I understand, increasing the intensity of light after meeting the threshold energy to strip a metal of an electron will only increase the kinetic energy that ejected electron will have. To then increase the number of ejected electrons, I would assume, you would need to match the number of photons of a specific frequency with the number of electrons you want ejected. If one photon has a specific energy, I suppose you could multiply that energy by the number of photons required to strip the desired number of electrons to find the total energy that would be used in the system.

I could very well be wrong, but this is how I might approach the situation.

Return to “Properties of Light”