Electronic Transition

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Daniela G 2C

Electronic Transition

Postby Daniela G 2C » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:18 pm

Does it matter from what specific atom an electronic transition occurs to calculate the frequency of the emitted photon, such as an electronic transition of a hydrogen or oxygen atom?

Brian Diehl 2B

Re: Electronic Transition

Postby Brian Diehl 2B » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:26 pm

Hey Daniela,

I believe any calculations associated with Bohr's electronic transitions are exclusive to the hydrogen atom. Otherwise, one would need to take into account electron-electron repulsion occurring within multi-electron atoms, which causes variances in the absorbed/emitted photon energy values when an electron switches between quantum levels.

patienceokani

Postby patienceokani » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:36 pm

I don’t think that we have had a problem where the transition is from two different elements, so I can’t say for sure whether the equations we use matter.

Miranda Hess 3I

Postby Miranda Hess 3I » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:43 pm

Brian is right, the equations we were given are only for hydrogen atoms. Professor mentioned that the equation we use would be different for each element we were working with but didn't elaborate too much. Patienceokani, I don't think the question was referring to when there are two different elements but rather when there is a different element from which the atom is transitioning to a higher or lower energy level.

Connor_Olsen_2K

Postby Connor_Olsen_2K » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:44 pm

We've never seen an atomic switch like that so I doubt there will be questions pertaining to it.

Return to “Properties of Light”