What does it mean to say we have wavelike properties?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brandon Achugbue 3H

What does it mean to say we have wavelike properties?

Postby Brandon Achugbue 3H » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:40 pm

We learned last week that all matter has wavelike properties that are only noticed for moving objects with extremely small mass. This means that we ourselves have some incredibly small wavelength and a frequency, but what does this mean in real terms? What do our waves emit? What effect could they possibly have on the world (given a theoretical scenario in which our wavelike properties are measurable)? And does our specific wavelength/frequency lead us to situations in which we are in phase or out of phase with other people/things/waves in the world?

People tend to talk about being on the same wavelength or resonating at the same frequency in colloquial terms, but I never realized there could possibly be some truth to it.

Connor_Olsen_2K

Re: What does it mean to say we have wavelike properties?

Postby Connor_Olsen_2K » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:43 pm

We do give off wavelengths, but it is not noticeable on the world around us and is very minimal in effect on anything.

Miranda Hess 3I

Postby Miranda Hess 3I » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:47 pm

Yeah to add on to what Connor said, there was an example from lecture where the wavelength of a car was somewhere along the lines of 10^-36 m, which is extremely small and would not be able to be recognized by passengers or even really good measurement equipment. Basically, wavelengths like that are so small that they are basically negligible from our level of perception.

Romi Moore 3k

Postby Romi Moore 3k » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:53 pm

Like everyone else said, the effects of the wavelike behavior is not really perceivable. I guess going off what we have learned about electron ejection, the fact that the wavelength are so small, as Miranda said, means that they don't really have the energy to cause any sort of interference with its surroundings, which might contribute to our inability to perceive the wavelike properties.

Return to “Properties of Light”