Learning Objective - Describe the nature of light as electromagnetic radiation (wave model) and as a stream of photons (

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alexa Marinelli-1B

Learning Objective - Describe the nature of light as electromagnetic radiation (wave model) and as a stream of photons (

Postby Alexa Marinelli-1B » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:20 am

For the first part of this learning objective I defined electromagnetic radiation and then talked about x-rays, radio-waves, microwaves, and visible light. Is this sufficient enough for the first part of the learning objective? I'm also unsure of what I can add for the second part. (the picture I listed below is the image I used as a visual).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 3.56.05 PM.png

Sujin Lim 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Learning Objective - Describe the nature of light as electromagnetic radiation (wave model) and as a stream of photo

Postby Sujin Lim 1H » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:24 am

I would add that light has wavelike properties because when it is shown through a barrier with two slits, the waves of light interact constructively and destructively in order to form a diffraction pattern. Diffraction patterns, which are forms as a result of interacting waves, suggest that light, too, has wavelike properties. I also think that the photoelectric effect experiment does a nice job of describing light as a stream of photons. The experiment found that lights were made of "packets of energy" called photons which had to individually have enough energy in order to eject an electron from the metal surface. The one photon to one electron interaction showed that light also has particle like properties. I hope this helps! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Return to “Properties of Light”