Texbook 1A: the Quantum World problem 9

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Xinyue Zou 2K

Texbook 1A: the Quantum World problem 9

Postby Xinyue Zou 2K » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:28 am

Hello!
How would you go about solving this problem?

A college student recently had a busy day. Each of the student’s activities on that day (reading, getting a dental x-ray, making popcorn in a microwave oven, and acquiring a suntan) involved radiation from a different part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Complete the following table and match each type of radiation to the appropriate event:
Frequency:
8.7 x 10^14 Hz
300MHz
Wavelength:
2.5 nm
Energy of photon: 3.3 x 10^-19 J

I don't even know where to begin.

Alexandra Lu 2J
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Texbook 1A: the Quantum World problem 9

Postby Alexandra Lu 2J » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:00 am

Given either the frequency or the wavelength, you could find the other using the formula c = λf, where c is the speed of light or electromagnetic radiation. To find the energy of a photon of that wavelength, you would use the formula E=hf, where h is Planck's constant. Finally, you would match the event to the wavelength by referencing FIGURE 1A.9 in the textbook. For example, with a wavelength of 2.5 nm, the radiation recorded in the last row belongs to the X-ray region of the electromagnetic spectrum and can therefore be attributed to "getting a dental x-ray."

Veronica Larson- 1I

Re: Texbook 1A: the Quantum World problem 9

Postby Veronica Larson- 1I » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:10 am

If you are given just the frequency or just the wavelength, you can solve for whichever you don't have using the equation c = λf, where c is the speed of light (3x10^8). From there, you can also figure out the energy of the photon by using the equation E=hf, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency. After you have filled in the table, you can use the wavelength to match it with an event that occurred by looking at where it falls on the EM spectrum.

Return to “Properties of Light”