Respondus Question for Final

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rhea Jain 2I

Respondus Question for Final

Postby Rhea Jain 2I » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:18 am

What answer did people pick for the respondus question?

Gianna Sciole 2F

Re: Respondus Question for Final

Postby Gianna Sciole 2F » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:22 pm

the answer to the respondus question was that gamma rays can ionize covalent bonds and destroy cells, making them the most harmful form of radiation to living organisms.
i came to this conclusion by process of elimination. "x-rays are more damaging" could not have been the correct answer because gamma rays have higher frequencies and smaller wavelengths. "it has a lower frequency than UV radiation" could not have been correct because if you look at the electromagnetic spectrum, gamma rays have the highest frequencies. "it has low frequency and high wavelength" could not have been correct because gamma rays are classified by having high frequencies and low wavelengths. and finally "UV light is more damaging" could not have been correct because of what was stated above.
in addition, you could think about this conceptually. people get x-rays (for medical reasons and what-not) and people are exposed to UV light all the time (through the sun). however, people are not exposed to gamma rays that often because they are damaging and could be fatal.

Jonathan Sautter 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jonathan Sautter 1J » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:51 am

I got the same answer as Gianna through a similar process of elimination. The main things to note for this problem is that the order of least to most dangerous lights are: UV light, X-rays, Gamma-rays. It is also important to remember that increased frequency correlates to decreased wavelength and increased energy while decreased frequency correlates to increased wavelength and decreased energy. Knowing this, and knowing that Gamma rays have the shortest wavelength, the process of elimination can be used to get the answer that Gianna got.

Tyler Olson 1E

Postby Tyler Olson 1E » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:58 am

I also got the same answer. Because gamma rays have the shortest wavelength and the highest frequency, they are the most dangerous to humans. So none of the other options would work because UV and X-Rays are less harmful to humans.

Return to “Properties of Light”