The values of n Textbook Q

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sophia Hartwell 1F

The values of n Textbook Q

Postby Sophia Hartwell 1F » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:10 pm

"In the ultraviolet spectrum of atomic hydrogen, a line is observed at 102.6 nm. Determine the values of n for the initial and final energy levels of the electron during the emission of energy that leads to this spectral line." Can anyone explain how to do this question? A step by step would be super helpful thanks.

Autumn Jackson Dis 1J
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: The values of n Textbook Q

Postby Autumn Jackson Dis 1J » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:15 pm

For this one, you have to know the Lymann and Balmer series for the Hydrogen atom. The Lymann series consists of wavelengths that are released when an e- drops from a higher level to level 1. The Lymann series consists of ultraviolet light. By seeing that the wavelength is around 100 nm, you have to know that this indicates UV light (from memorizing what wavelengths correspond to what wave-type). Therefore, the bottom n level must be n1=1, and you solve for n2 using the equation frequency=R(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2)

JasmineReyes-2K

Postby JasmineReyes-2K » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi!

I see Autumn already gave you a detailed explanation but I would also suggest studying the Lymann and Balmer series, there are a lot of videos on YouTube that have helped me !

Sophia Hartwell 1F

Postby Sophia Hartwell 1F » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:08 pm

Ah I see, thank you! I will study up on those haha

Return to “Properties of Light”