Cathode/Anode Right and Left

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Elise Faux

Cathode/Anode Right and Left

Postby Elise Faux » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:51 am

In the textbook there is an example of the cathode on the left of the cell diagram but it is not specified by the question. In this scenario how are we supposed to know? On the final will the standard anode on the left, cathode on the right notation be followed or will it be specified otherwise?

Alina Garmash-3I

Re: Cathode/Anode Right and Left

Postby Alina Garmash-3I » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:55 am

Just to be safe, I would identify the cathode or the anode based on which is being oxidized and reduced, in order to not risk switching them or relying on a pattern of left to right. An anode is the one being oxidized (loss of electrons) and the cathode is being reduced (gain of electorns).

karen 2c

Postby karen 2c » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:35 pm

Hi! Adding on, I usually find the oxidation number for each element to determine which is being oxidized and reduced. The flow of electrons move from anode to cathode; the anode is oxidized whereas the cathode is reduced. Someone commented something useful to help remember this and it’s “red cat and ox” for REDuced CAThode ANoDe OXidized!

Amber2E

Postby Amber2E » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:03 pm

I believe that since there is a case where the cathode and anode are on opposite sides, it will be more reliable to identify which is which through the oxidation and reduction half-reaction (ox:anode, red:cathode).

Postby 805915267 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:17 pm

I don't think cathode or anode is defined by what "right/left" but rather reduction occurs at the cathode and oxidation occurs at the anode. It doesn't matter which side your set up the cathode/anode, but I would just remember what redox reaction occurs at each.

Amy Zhang 1I

Postby Amy Zhang 1I » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:20 am

Hi, the anode is usually on the left and the cathode is usually on the right. However, if you want to make sure, just remember that the anode is losing electrons or giving them away, and the cathode is the one gaining the electrons or receiving them. Since cathodes are receiving the electrons, this would explain why they would get larger in size as they solidify along the pipe.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”