cell diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley_Contreras_1J

cell diagram

Postby Ashley_Contreras_1J » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:24 am

Does the value of the charges affect whether a molecule is closer to the double lines or not? Like for Cr 2+ and Cr 3+?

JadaArreola_2E

Re: cell diagram

Postby JadaArreola_2E » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:26 am

Hello, from my understanding, the value does not affect its closeness. The things that will be affected are temperature, concentration, and volume. Hope this helps.

Re: cell diagram

Postby 305920501 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:30 am

Not exactly, the orientation is usually based on the reactant of the half-reaction being farther left and the product of the half-reaction being farther right on either side of the salt bridge represented by the double line. Sometimes this is changed (like in the case of Cl2 in a couple questions in the textbook). I usually try to ensure oxidation is on the left and reduction on the right of the salt bridge, then I figure out which of the listen molecules is being reduced/oxidized and which is the product of this half-reaction. If the cathode/anode is constructed of a different metal than the reactants and products in the reaction, it is represented on the farthest outside of the cell diagram.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”