Number of mols to use in the equation  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Khachik_Hmayakyan_2E

Number of mols to use in the equation

Postby Khachik_Hmayakyan_2E » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:32 pm

When calculating the standard Gibbs free energy of a galvanic cell, I'm confused where we acquire the value for n. I know this is supposed to be the number of electrons transferred, but must we do a full redox and oxidation half reaction balancing procedure in order to attain the number of electrons transferred, or is there some sort of shortcut we can use to guage the mols of electrons to use for the value of n.

Catherine_Zhang_1H

Re: Number of mols to use in the equation  [ENDORSED]

Postby Catherine_Zhang_1H » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:42 pm

A shortcut would be to look at the number of electrons that will be transferred. If you can calculate that without doing the full redox reaction that would work but I'm guessing that the problem will probably involve the redox reaction anyways. So there's no harm calculating it.

Wenqian_Deng_1L

Re: Number of mols to use in the equation

Postby Wenqian_Deng_1L » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:52 am

Does this mean that we would still need to identify the oxidation states of each element?

Julia Nakamura 2D

Re: Number of mols to use in the equation

Postby Julia Nakamura 2D » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Yes, you would still need to identify the oxidation states in order to balance the equation properly. This would help you solve for the number of electrons on each side of the equation, which would help you find n.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”