Inert Electrodes

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jose_Arambulo_2I

Inert Electrodes

Postby Jose_Arambulo_2I » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:31 am

I was wondering if I could have some clarification on the purpose of using inert electrodes. Also, how come sometimes an inert electrode will be on both the cathode and anode side, while other times it'd only be on one side?

Emily Wang 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Inert Electrodes

Postby Emily Wang 1H » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:09 am

An inert electrode basically acts as a sink for electrons while not actually taking part in the electrode reaction. In other words, inert means the electrode is not reactive. You would use an inert electrode if the reactant can't function as an electrode, but if you have a metal involved, it won't need an inert electrode.

Ariana de Souza 4C

Re: Inert Electrodes

Postby Ariana de Souza 4C » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:26 pm

In the same vein as the question posted, in the course reader, we put an inert conductor on only one side of this diagram
2Fe 3+ (aq) + Cu (s) --> Cu 2+ (aq) + 2 Fe 2+ (aq
Cu (s) I Cu 2+ (aq) II Fe 3+ (aq). Fe 2+ (aq) I Pt(s)

I'm assuming this is because the left side of the equation has a solid, but the right side doesn't.
But in the textbook,
14.13 b)
Ce 4+ (aq) + I- (aq) --> I2 (s) + Ce 3+ (aq)
It puts Pt on BOTH sides of the cell diagram because "an inert electrode such as Pt is necessary when both oxidized and reduced species are in the same solution." What does that mean?

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”