Cell Diagrams

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Garrett_Reynolds_1D

Cell Diagrams

Postby Garrett_Reynolds_1D » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 pm

I am confused on the order of the compounds in the Cell Diagram. I understand that the anode is on the left and the cathode is on the right, and I thought that the solid compounds normally go on the outside but I have seen solutions that say otherwise...can someone explain? Thanks. Also adding Platinum, that is just if the cathode doesn't have a solid correct?

Cinthia_Ramirez_3B

Re: Cell Diagrams

Postby Cinthia_Ramirez_3B » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:32 pm

Yes, the anode is on the left while the cathode is on the right. They are separated by the salt bridge, represented by the double bars (II). I believe the order doesn't matter; you just separate the species in terms of phase and separate them with commas if they are the same phase.

Tyler Miao 1A

Re: Cell Diagrams

Postby Tyler Miao 1A » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm confused on how the value of that works, not necessarily the writing of the cell diagram itself, but when you're allowed to have a negative Ecell value or not. I was told i just had to choose the cathode and anode based on whichever order I'd get a positive value, but on the hw and in the practice midterms I've seen a negative value, so if I got it wrong, I'd get writing the cell diagram incorrect as well.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”