Moles in Galvanic Cell

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nicole Gamboa 2M

Moles in Galvanic Cell

Postby Nicole Gamboa 2M » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi All,
I was doing some of the homework problems about calculating the standard reaction Gibbs free energy for cell reactions and I was confused about how to calculate the moles when using the equation deltaG=-nFEcell. Do you have to go through the half-reactions to find out how many electrons were needed even though the equation is already balanced?
Thanks!

Sunny Chera 1N

Re: Moles in Galvanic Cell

Postby Sunny Chera 1N » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Yeah so you have to derive the two half-reactions from the skeletal equation, and from those two half-reactions, you can determine the number of moles of electrons you need to use for that equation. For example, if you have Zn(s) getting oxidized at the anode and Cu2+ ions getting reduced at the cathode into Cu(s) then you would plug in 2 moles of electrons into that equation for n. Hopes this helps!

Re: Moles in Galvanic Cell

Postby 204929947 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:11 pm

Im still confused on how to find out the moles. Do you set up the equation and then figure out how many electrons are used? I'm confused while doing the HW question 14.9 6th Edition

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”