Homework #14.17

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Homework #14.17

Postby 104469125 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:05 am

The question is: Write the balanced half-reactions for the redox reaction of an acidified solution of potassium permanganate and iron (II) chloride. Write the balanced equation for the cell reaction and devise a galvanic cell to study the reaction.

I wasn't sure what the half reactions of this looked like, so I had to solve it with the manual. I was wondering if we would be expected to know how to solve a question like this one on the midterm, without any other information given (such as what potassium permanganate is).

Maggie Bui 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Homework #14.17

Postby Maggie Bui 1H » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:09 am

We've learned how to balance chemical reactions and write out chemical formulas, and know the reaction takes place in an acidified solution, so I think we should be expected to know how to balance the half-reactions. However, I think we'd have to be given the reduction potentials for each half reaction in order to know which half reaction occurs at the anode and which occurs at the cathode.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”