Cell Diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amanda_Ye_1G

Cell Diagram

Postby Amanda_Ye_1G » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm having trouble writing cell diagrams. Is there a special format we need to write them in? Does the order matter when you use a comma versus a "|"?

shannon_tseng_3L

Re: Cell Diagram

Postby shannon_tseng_3L » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:20 pm

the format should be
anode metal | anode ion || cathode ion | cathode metal (or Pt)

Arshia_Sabir_3E

Postby Arshia_Sabir_3E » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:30 pm

The first thing to know is that a double vertical line (||) is used to separate the anode half reaction from the cathode half reaction (represents salt bridge).
A single vertical line (|) is used to separate solid, liquid, gas, or aq on the same side.
A comma is used to separate same states of matter on the same side.
so for instance, if you have two aqueous solution on the anode side you'll separate them with a comma and you have one gas and aqueous you'll separate them with a vertical line.

I hope this helps!

Jamie Huang 1L

Postby Jamie Huang 1L » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Does the order matter when you separate molecules of the same state with commas. Do we usually range them in the order of charges? and when we separate gas from aqueous with a solid verticle line, is there a order in which we have to put them in?

Brenton Hwee 2J

Postby Brenton Hwee 2J » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm

No, the order does not matter when they are separated by a comma. However, for the solids they are usually placed at the end of the cell diagram, and gases usually go right before the electrode, separated by a line.

Emily_Lenh2A

Postby Emily_Lenh2A » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Is it possible that we will get marked down if we put it out of order when they are separated by the single vertical line? For example, if we put the solids at the end (correctly) but put the rest out of order (such as those that are gas, liquid, or aq)?

Jocelyn Sandoval 3B

Postby Jocelyn Sandoval 3B » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:37 pm

I think that there is a specific order in which you should have them inside of the diagram. The aqueous solution should be closest to the salt bridge, which is represented by "II". Then, I believe that the liquid goes after that and then its gas. Solids are the last ones.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 891 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Brenton Hwee 2J wrote:No, the order does not matter when they are separated by a comma. However, for the solids they are usually placed at the end of the cell diagram, and gases usually go right before the electrode, separated by a line.

Correct

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Emily_Lenh2A wrote:Is it possible that we will get marked down if we put it out of order when they are separated by the single vertical line? For example, if we put the solids at the end (correctly) but put the rest out of order (such as those that are gas, liquid, or aq)?

I don't deduct points for this.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Jocelyn Sandoval 3B wrote:I think that there is a specific order in which you should have them inside of the diagram. The aqueous solution should be closest to the salt bridge, which is represented by "II". Then, I believe that the liquid goes after that and then its gas. Solids are the last ones.

Correct. But we won't deduct points if you put solids at the end (correctly) but put the rest out of order (such as those that are gas, liquid, or aq).

YuniLee_1K

Postby YuniLee_1K » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:35 am

In some of the homework answers in the solution manual, the cell diagram is depicted as "solid | solid | soln || soln | solid", essentially with more than one solid on one side of the set-up. When does this sort of electrochemistry set-up occur, and why is there a line rather than a comma separating the two solids?

Hue_Vo_1D

Postby Hue_Vo_1D » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:03 pm

The format should be that:
The anode always goes on the left and cathode on the right. Separate changes in phase by | and indicate the the salt bridge with ||.

Other important notes:
Add "Pt(s)"-Platinum, which an inert conductor that must be in the cell with the half reaction that has only gas and aqueous phases.
Separate the same phase substances with comma.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”