When do you add Pt?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew Uesugi 3I

When do you add Pt?

Postby Andrew Uesugi 3I » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:16 am

I'm getting confused with the whole Pt thing.

Pt needs to be added when the materials in cell aren't solid. But I've seen a few Pt added to cell where it has solid states. Is there a general rule here when adding Pt to cell reactions?

Lauren Trent 2A

Re: When do you add Pt?

Postby Lauren Trent 2A » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:21 am

You add platinum to the diagram of a half reaction if there is no solid substance involved, such as if the reaction goes between two substances in aqueous states, or in the gaseous state. It's not necessarily if there is no solids at all; if the oxidation half reaction involves a solid substance but the reduction half reaction is between two aqueous substances, you would need to add platinum to the reduction side of the diagram.

Alyssa Ishimoto 1A

Postby Alyssa Ishimoto 1A » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 am

You add Pt(s) when the half reaction has no solid metal that can conduct electricity. If the half reaction contains Ag(s) or Zn(s), then those solid metals act as the electrode. However, if the half reaction contains no solids, then you add Pt(s). In addition, if the half reaction has a nonconducting solid, you add Pt(s). The electrode should be able to conduct electricity.

samuelkharpatin2b

Postby samuelkharpatin2b » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:37 pm

You add platinum to the cell diagrams when it is in need of a solid electrode. There are some times when the anode or cathode situation is comprised of only gaseous or aqueous solutions, so in that case you would add platinum. And when drawing the cell diagram, make sure you write platinum on the very left or very right of the diagram, depending on whether it's needed in the anode or the cathode.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”